Christian Initiative for Nation Building began the countdown to July 16th, 2022 Osun Gubernatorial Election in January 2022 through her website. The countdown included number of days, hours, minutes and seconds left for the polls on www.cinbnigeria.com
- Majority of INEC officials arrived early for accreditation and voting commenced as scheduled in majority of the polling units.
- Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) was deployed and it worked perfectly in majority of the polling units monitored.
- Heavy deployment of security personnel was observed across Osun State.
- There were reports of insufficient BVAS in some polling units that have high voter population.
- There was high turnout of youth in the Election. Although over 800,000 registered voters did not participate in the Electoral process.
- There was no report of violence from the areas monitored.
- Vote buying across the State was reported.
- Rumors of attempts to hack INEC Election result portal made the rounds.
- INEC Election result portal worked perfectly.
- Result of the Election was announced by the returning Officer around 6:45am on 17th July, 2022 with Senator AdemolaAdeleke emerging as winner of the gubernatorial polls.
- There was no violence reported after declaration of the Result.
Table 1: Total number of registered voters and Total number of PVCs collected
|Total number of registered voters||Total number of PVCs collected|
Table 2: Age desegregation of voters.
|Elderly||70 and above||8.51%|
Table 3: Comparison of Osun State Governorship Election Voter turnout from 2003 to 2022.
|Year||Registered voters||Total votes cast||% of voter turnout|
(The percentage of voter turnout in the State Governorship election is on a steady decline despite the increase in the number of registered voters.)
- There is need for aggressive voter education and reorientation to enhance voter turnout – for 2023 General Elections..
- Religious bodies should emphasize the need for adherents to participate in the electoral processes.
- Concerted efforts should be made by INEC to secure her Election result portal.
- There should be synergy between CSOs to facilitate good governance and citizens- led demand for Accountability and Transparency in Osun State through monitoring of activities of the transition committee.
- Advocacy visit by CINB to INEC Osun State to build synergy.